Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Random Thoughts

After a few beautiful summer-like days, a rainy, cool Wednesday has set in. I like Wednesdays most of the time. First, it is my favorite day to spell with the kids--Wed-nes-day. Second, it marks a half way point for the school week. And finally, I have an extra 30 minute break while the kids work with our Speech-Language Pathologist. It's a great break mid week...I actually get to go to the bathroom without first begging my children to stay quiet while I ever so quickly dash out and race back before utter chaos breaks out...Wednesday's are decent.

Today is no different (except that vacation is oh so near!), but I do have a lot on my mind.


1. First, this just might be God's way of telling me to slow down.





It really doesn't look terrible, and maybe it isn't as awful as it feels, but it really is not pleasant. And the placement is incredible--it is on my right hand--and I am right handed.  I was doing the dishes and cooking pasta at the same time last night, while hurrying myself along so I could get other things done, when I obviously did not pay close enough attention while washing a very large knife. I sliced my hand and then...began to bleed all over the sink. I do not do well with blood and thought I was going to pass out. Matt came running to my rescue, but the tears had already started. (And there were a lot of them.) Needless to say, the rest of my night consisted of laying on the couch so I did not throw up. I got nothing done that I had planned on doing and I watched the red sox get killed lose terribly. (That is getting a little old.) I guess the silver lining is that I fell asleep at 8:30 and slept through most of the night.

2. I did not work out today.<---Or yesterday... We planned on getting up early to do Plyos, but the comfort of our warm bed and the rain falling outside convinced us we should sleep for another hour. I usually feel incredibly guilty, but I refuse to let myself feel this way today. After all...

3. ...I just bought two new pairs of jeans. And they FIT! It is glorious. (Yes, they are a size bigger, but I am ok with that, because I can breathe and eat when I wear them.) 

4. But...that brings up a more serious thought. This whole grown up, financially responsible thing is not always fun. In fact, the past few days it has been hard. This week has made me yearn for the comfort of being a kid again. Matt and I have spent the past two days reflecting on our budget. We both have steady, good paying jobs, but somehow, we are saving nothing. I have so many things going on in my mind right now, that I can't seem to get a clear thought about all of this down or out of my mouth. We are not extravagant in our spendings nor have we made any BIG purchases lately (aside from our home), and somehow--it is going out quicker than it is coming in. I am thankful for a husband full of grace, patience, and a mathematical brain. Last night we looked at our budget and w o w...there are so many places where we can cut back and save. We are not even close to "the poor house"--but there are so many things we want to do around the house and we would like to start a family soon...we need to be saving. Don't get me wrong, the past two nights have been great. We have been able to look at  the parts of our budget we cannot change (like the night mare of our student loans) and places where we can start to think about cutting back. Matt and I are making some changes together--and I love that. (Plus, he even offered agreed to start grocery shopping with me!) It's just a hard dose of reality right now and it is going to involve some lifestyle changes for us. (Oh, and the timing--not the best considering I just made the decision not to work this summer...)

5. I would do anything to be home in my pj's, on the couch, with Ben and Jerry's today. Get my drift?

6. Last one as a reminder--God is GREAT--and full of grace--and there is nothing that can get in the way of that. I am excited to be in his word tonight at 10/70. As always, I am blessed. 


How great would it be if that magic wand really worked? :)

3 comments:

  1. I love this post, Cait! especially parts 2 and 3:) I've been so sick that i legit don't have the lung capicity to workout and you know what? it's O.K.! i think we all too often get caught up in "omg i didn't workout i'm going to lose all my muscle and definition and endurance becuase I didn't workout today," when in actuality, our bodies CRAVE a break, even if we don't think they do... rest days are there for a reason... plus, think of all the exercise you're goign to get this weekend;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you a fly on Beach Streets wall? #4 sounds like awfully familiar discussion that occured at the Goodrich household last night as well... what to do, what to do? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovey! Love the pot because it reminds me of my own brain...going a bout a mile a minute in a BAzillian different directions!

    ReplyDelete