Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Classic Sour Cream Coffee Cake


There's not a better recipe out there. I promise. The ease and deliciousness of this sour cream coffee cake cannot be beat. It is a family recipe passed down from my mom, and from her mom, and...you get the drift.



I have made this coffee cake more times than I can even count, but I still have not memorized it! I just love pulling out my recipe card. There's something comfortable about baking it. (I try to always call it a coffee cake seeing as I make it for breakfast. It makes me feel better about eating cake for breakfast.) I usually make this coffee cake with chocolate chips which is of course delicious...and I have even made it with cranberries...YUM! But this time, I tried something different...freshly picked freshly frozen blueberries. Last summer our blueberry bushes gave us a very plentiful blueberry crop. Although we love them and even gave many away, we ended up freezing a LOT. I pulled some out of the freezer and decided to give them a shot in this blueberry coffee cake. It was a HIT. (Serious competition for the chocolate chips!)


Here's how it's done...

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

(serves 8-20)

1 stick unsalted butter (or margarine) softened

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 cup sour cream

1 1/2 cup fresh (or frozen) blueberries (or chocolate chips)

1 teaspoon Cinnamon Sugar

Cream Cheese or Butter Cream Frosting (I cheat and use Betty Crocker!)

Crushed Pecans or Walnuts (Optional)


Preheat oven to 340 degrees. (330 convection) Mix softened butter, sugar, and eggs together until fluffy. Slowly add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Add sour cream. Mix. If using blueberries, lightly toss with flour and then fold into batter. (This will keep blueberries from sinking to the bottom.) If using chocolate chips, toss them in without flouring.


(had to get a shot with the kitchen-aid...)


Pour into grease bundt pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes. Flip onto a cooling rack. After cake has completely cooled, melt 2 tablespoons of frosting and lightly drizzle over cake. Top with crushed pecans or walnuts. 

Serve as is or heat up for 15 seconds. Perfect with a cup of coffee! 



1 comment:

  1. MMM so happy you posted the recipe because this was so delish!! and i almost felt like it was 'healthy' because of the blueberries:) still enjoying it for breakfast! thanks for bringing it!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete