Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Is Spring in the Air?

Yes, I realize it is JANUARY. But, did you get outside today!? It was 50 degrees! In Maine! In January! It was quite a treat. Today gave me a brief sense of hope--that spring is indeed coming, even though it may still be months away. Typically it's months like January that make me despise living in Maine (aside from snow days). There really is nothing about the snow and sub zero temperatures that excites me. I know I would miss it if I lived else where, but seriously, bundling up in my bogs, massive down jacket, scarf, hat, and mittens just to run to the grocery store is not my cup of tea. This winter has yet to force us to hunker down and not want to leave our warm home, but I am sure it is on it's way. Days like today help me get through delightful Maine winters.

One of the hardest parts of the months of oh....November, December, January, February, and March is the fact that it is dark when I leave for work...and dark when I get home. It can get a little depressing! 4:15 sunsets are sad. Not only do I feel a serious vitamin D deficiency setting on, but my time spent exercising takes a serious nose dive. During the spring and summer a run outside with Sawyer is an easy decision. Burning calories working in the yard, mowing the lawn, or gardening not also keep me in shape but also help me work on a tan. Sadly, the walks, mowing, and yard work are non-existent in the winter. I've turn to Jillian Michaels for a quick, easy to fit in workout each day, but there are days when it just doesn't cut it.

Today Sawyer and I took advantage of the beautiful weather and sprinted outside as soon as I got home from work. Sawyer was in shock! A walk...in January! If only dogs could talk. :) I have tried walks in January before but I end up home quickly with numb fingers and toes. Today...not so much. We took a wonderful, long, refreshing walk (walking very quickly to beat sunset).

As you can see, he was a happy pup at the end of this walk. However, if you look closely you can also see the MUD that he was covered in! I spent 15 minutes after our walk attempting to dry off any mud that would leave puppy prints all over my house. (Note to self: pave driveway)

You can't exactly tell here, but trust me, he was covered! Fortunately, the fresh air and spring like feel made it so my sweet yellow pup covered in mud didn't bother me too much. Until March 20th, I will patiently wait for spring, but days like today really help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment