Sunday, January 22, 2012

Chubby Hubby Cupcakes and a New Years Resolution

They don't exactly go together, chubby hubby cupcakes and new years resolutions, but in this case they are the perfect match. As you know, I can't bake enough cupcakes. From strawberry champagne to peppermint mocha, baking cupcakes is a stress relieving, mind calming, relaxing time for me. It is the one thing I can do and not think about the 90895787 things on my to-do list. When I bake, my mind is 100% on baking! I think it's sort of like what yoga should be...only with lots of extra calories. Anyway, it's my outlet.

In hopes of slowing down and actually enjoying each day as it comes, my new years resolution this year is to do everything in my power to not feel like I must be superwomen. This includes taking on too many things, saying yes to everything, being a crazy perfectionist, you know...typical Caitlin things. Knowing that these qualities are personal character flaws traits, my goal is to control them rather than get rid of them completely. I have done well so far! I have successfully said "no thank you" to an additional task at school (which was VERY hard), left dirty dishes in my sink for 2 nights, read a few great magazines instead of cleaning my house, and have left a great deal of school work at school. It is pretty liberating! I have managed to use the words "I'm bored" a few times, but quickly retracted them when I realized what had popped out.

I am still working on sitting and watching TV and staying focused on a great book, but baby steps here. Wednesday I began to feel some of the ways "the old me" (haha) would feel, so I took a night and devoted it to baking. My brother's girl friend joined and we baked away while listening to pandora and drinking some pretty tasty red wine. While there was lots of great conversation, I was able to clear my mind of everything that was taking up unnecessary space. It felt GREAT! Amidst the chatting and taste testing we came up with these...


The ultimate Ben and Jerry's Chubby Hubby ice cream transformed into a cupcake! Yellow cupcake filled with a chocolate ganache and pretzel m&m's topped with a fluffy peanut butter frosting and a chocolate dipped pretzel. Are you drooling yet?

Although we only split one cupcake we managed to lick spoonfuls full of peanut butter frosting and devour almost a whole extra large bag of pretzel m&ms...which by the way are delicious! I also took it a step further and dipped a pretzel into the peanut butter frosting. Oh. MY. GOODNESS. So yummy. Slightly embarrassed to have admitted that. These cupcakes have been loved by all who have tasted them!

Chubby Hubby Cupcakes
adapted from Annie's Eats

Makes 24 cupcakes

for the cupcakes
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
1 5.9 oz box of vanilla pudding
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs
1/2 cup warm water

for the ganache
8 oz bittersweet chocolate
1 cup heavy cream
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup crushed pretzel m&ms

for the frosting
3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter
4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp heavy cream

to garnish
chocolate dipped pretzels

To make the cupcakes, preheat the over to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with liners. In stand mixer combine cake mix, pudding, oil, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Add warm water. Mix until just incorporated.

Divide batter into liners. Bake for 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool for 5-10 minutes in tins, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

To make the ganache, place chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl. Warm cream in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and pour over chopped chocolate. Let stand for 1-2 minutes. Whisk together until smooth. Whisk in butter one tablespoon at a time. Let stand at room temperature until thickened. Stir occasionally.

Cut a small cone out of the top of each cupcake. Fill with ganache and top with crushed pretzel m&ms. You can replace the cutouts or you can snack on them. :)

To make the frosting combine the butter and peanut butter in stand mixer. Beat on medium high speed until smooth. Slowly mix in confectioners' sugar and salt. With mixer on low, add vanilla and heavy cream. Whip on medium speed for about 4 minutes until light and fluffy. Transfer frosting into pastry bag and pipe frosting. Garnish with a chocolate covered pretzel.

Sweet and salty...the perfect cure for any sweet tooth!

2 comments:

  1. I love when you post! Makes me feel connected! I have found some great recipes from Annie eats! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. we really are so much alike, haha living with my sister and amy k really does help me see the other way to live your life (not crazed and overbooked and worn thin like us!) and also to not feel bad about 'being lazy' or taking rest days or shopping instead of cleaning. xo

    ReplyDelete