Everything I read talks about kale as a "super food"-- a must have on the menu vegetable packed with nutrients. While poking around the produce section at the grocery store Saturday I stumbled upon this have to have veggie and saw that it was just $1.00 a bunch! I was sold. Healthy and cheap? I'm in! This soup was a test as it was full of vegetables and lacking...meat. Married to a meat and potatoes kind of guy, a meal without meat is seen as a snack. I went for it anyway....and it was delicious! The kale added a slightly strange texture to the soup, almost replacing what would normally be a meat of some kind, but the flavor was great! Packed with onions, garlic, carrots, and group pepper--there was a comforting warm you up on a freezing cold day kind of flavor.
Paired with a piece of warm, multigrain bread, this dinner was perfect for a frigid January night! Give it a try!
Kale and White Bean Soup
Serves 4
Courtesy of Whole Foods Market
2 tablespoons EVOO
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, diced
1 (32 oz) box low-sodium vegetable broth
4 cups packed kale
1 (14.5 oz) can italian style diced tomatos
1 (14.5 oz) can no salt added cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 large carrots peeled and chopped
In a large saucepan, heat EVOO over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer. Add broth, kale, tomatoes, and carrots and cover. Cook for 5 minutes or until kale is tender. Add beans and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve warm.
Leftovers make a great filling lunch as well. Try it! You won't be disappointed!


No comments:
Post a Comment